FP7 project RESOLVE extensively uses mouse models to study Metabolic Syndrome and associated diseases, and includes mathematical modelling.
The TARGEAR project is an Industry-Academia Partnerships and Pathways (IAPP) – Marie Curie Action constituted by experienced research groups in complementary fields ranging from the molecular to the clinical aspects of age-related hearing loss. The general objective is to develop a collaborative strategy between public research institutes and private companies, based in transfer of knowledge, to design and implement preclinical studies for presbyacusis.
These national initiatives aim to further the principles of replacing, reducing and refining (3Rs) the use of animal models in research.
- Denmark- The 3R Center: http://en.3rcenter.dk/
- The Netherlands- More Knowledge with Fewer Animals: http://www.zonmw.nl/en/programmes/more-knowledge-with-fewer-animals/general-information/, 3Rs-Centre Utrecht Life Sciences: http://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/3rs-centre-uls
- UK- National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement & Reduction of Animals in Research: http://www.nc3rs.org.uk/
- Pre-clinicalTrials.org: a registry and results database of pre-clinical animal studies conducted around the world with the aim to enhance the quality of disease target validation and to facilitate meta-analyses by combining smaller studies
- MitoAge: a database for comparative analysis of mitochondrial DNA, with a special focus on animal longevity
- DrugAge: a curated database of lifespan-extending drugs and compounds